Around the same time every year, eager Stereosonic punters across the nation hit the gym and drop their daily calorie intake in order to commence their annual “shredding for Stereo” rituals. But according to a new study, they’re burning plenty of calories at the festival as it is.
According to Metro, while many of us associate music festivals with boozing, consuming bad fast food, and staying out in the sun for far too long, music festivals may actually be good for your health. At least in terms of the cardiovascular exercise they basically force you into completing.
Apparently interested in the possible health benefits of music festivals, tech company Withings asked festival-goers to wear fitness activity trackers in an attempt to figure out how many calories the average punters burns during a weekend-long event.
Turns out, it’s a lot. Between walking from stage to stage, just wandering around, and dancing, we actually burn off more than 9,000 calories and walk over 24km during the course of your typical three-day event. Your average punter will burn an average of 400-700 calories during each act.
Withings even compiled a rundown of all the big UK music festivals and ranked them by how many calories your average punter burns. Glastonbury came out on top, with punters burning 3,400 calories per day wandering around Worthy Farm, followed by V Festival, Reading Festival, T in the Park, and Leeds Festival.
MUSIC FESTIVALS BREAKDOWN BY CALORIES BURNT
1. Glastonbury – 3,400 calories burnt per day /5.1 miles per person
2. V Festival –3,100 calories burnt per day /4.6 miles per person
3. Reading Festival – 3,000 calories burnt per day /4.7 miles per person
4. T in the Park – 3,000 calories burnt per day /4.5 miles per person
5. Leeds Festival – 2,900 calories burnt per day/4.6 miles per person
6. Creamfields – 2,800 calories burnt per day /4.2 miles per person
7. Isle of Wight Festival – 2,700 calories burnt per day /4 miles per person
8. Bestival – 2,600 calories burnt per day /4 miles per person
9. Lovebox – 2,500 calories burnt per day/3.1 miles per person
10. T4 On The Beach – 2,300 calories burnt per day/ 2.9 miles per person
GREG MOSKOVITCH,www.tonedeaf.com.au, www.msidallas.com